Welfare & Equal Opportunities Officers
The Welfare & Equal Opportunities Officers each look after particular groups within the student body or particular areas of the SRC’s work such as charities or the environment. They are supported by the Vice-President Student Support.
The Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer each look after a particular minority group of students within the student body, or, in the case of Charities Officer, helps to further the SRC’s work in this field.
Welfare and Equal Opps Officers are expected to regularly update VP Student Support on their activities.
The following positions are in the welfare and equal opportunities constituency:
Charities, Clubs and Societies Officer
- Organising regular fundraising drives for charities relevant to the student body as chosen by council;
- Helping the VP Student Support to organise RAG Week;
- Maintaining a relationship with the relevant affiliated clubs and societies who are charity-based.
- Working with VP Student Support to manage affiliations of clubs and societies;
- To help make policy decisions relating the administration of SRC affiliated clubs and societies;
- Co-ordinating SRC Clubs and Societies Awards with the VP Student Support;
- Maintaining a positive relationship between all SRC affiliated clubs and societies.
International Students’ Officer
- Promoting and address concerns of international students at the University at Council and relevant University meetings;
- Organising events for, and relating to, international students;
- Maintaining strong links with GU International Society and regularly communicating with them;
- Actively taking an interest in developments relating to International Student status in the UK.
Sexual Orientation Equality Officer
-Promoting all sexual orientations as being equal in dignity and respect
-Raising awareness about queer culture and lifestyle in Glasgow
-Promotion of safe sex for all genders and orientations
-Publicising LGBTQ-related concerns and points-of-interests to the students of our university
-Taking an active stand against homo-, bi- and transphobia in our Glaswegian community
-Promoting an alliance throughout our student body for solidarity and equality
- Maintaining strong links with GU LGBT society and regularly communicating with them
- Address the environmental concerns of students of the University.
- Promoting awareness of environmental issues to students and staff of the University.
Race Equality Officer
- Addressing the concerns of students at the University affected by issues of race or ethnicity.
- Promoting racial equality on campus and off.
Students’ with Disabilities Officer
- Addressing the concerns of all disabled students at the University;
- Promoting awareness of the needs of disabled students.
Gender Equality Officer
- Addressing the gender based concerns of all students at the University;
- Organising health and welfare awareness events.